Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Friday

Today is good Friday. I enjoyed my nice day off work... but I didn't enjoy it without thinking about the REAL reason for Good Friday/Easter. Honestly, Easter bunnies/baskets/eggs drive me nuts because I seriously don't see how they have ANYTHING to do with the real meaning behind Easter. I understand its a fun things for kids to do, and yes I'll probably do something like that when our kids are old enough, but growing up we were always reminded of the real meaning before we got a chance to eat any candy or do any egg hunts, etc. At my dad's this year we're doing something called resurection eggs. It's something Jen brought up that she wanted to do and they sound like a good idea! Apparently you put different things in eggs and the different things help tell the Easter story... bread, a cross, thorn, etc. There are verses from the bible that go with each egg and it's item. I'll let you know how those go!

Today, a friend texted me and asked if  it was our church that was carrying a cross around town? I was really confused becuase I hadn't heard anything about it but she thought she knew one of the guys doing it. So, I asked around, and it just so happens it was one of our pastors and his friend.  Apparently they used to do this in their hometown on Good Friday to bring awareness of the real meaning behind today. I think it is a great idea! I was thinking to myself, man that cross was huge, and heavy! I bet they were tired..and hot. Then it dawned on me, duh! That's the point! Think about how heavy the cross would have felt to Jesus as he carried it after he was beaten half to death. Wow, what a price he paid... and for me?... for you? If you don't know the Easter story, or maybe you do and you just need refreshed I enourage you to re-read it in the book of Matthew, or even just watch the movie Passion of the Christ.. It's impossible to watch that movie and not sob! Incredible story of our God's love and sacrifice for our sins!

If you aren't going to church on Easter Sunday, you , should! New Hope is having a service Saturday night at 6 and Sunday at 8:15, 9:45, and 11:15. My sister is giving her testimony through video form, I'm so excited to hear her story of how she gave up the things of this world to live for God.

I often think... "is what you're living for worth what He died for?"

Jesus' return is coming!

Are you ready?

No comments:

Post a Comment