Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Practicum!

Today I began my first day of my second practicum of the year. This semester I am in a first grade classroom in Paris, IL. I'm not really nervous at all this time around, partly because it's my second time, and partly because I'm more comfortable with first grade. My teacher seems really nice, I just don't know if she'll be as helpfull as I'd like. Today she just let me observe and I think I'm just more used to jumping right in. She didn't really tell me my plan for the next four weeks as to what I'd be teaching or anything, so I'm not quit sure what's going on yet. I told her my only requirements are to create a bulletin board, do a case study on a child's reading ability, and then just to teach as much as possible. So, I hope this means a lot!

Funny story of the day:
My first day in the classroom, right? I don't know any of the kids yet. One little boy sat by me on the carpet and slipped a card under my leg as he whispered, "here I want you to have this. It's my favoritest card ever." I didn't even look at it, and I tried to give it back quietly. However, he insisted that I keep it as a "present". Later, I pulled the card out from under my leg to look at it, and I realized it was a picture of basically a naked woman. She had small triangles of fabric covering her breasts, and her hand was the only thing covering her bikini. The woman in the picture was supposed to be representing wrestling in some way... not really sure on that part yet. I couldn't believe that this little first grade boy had a card like this! I would hope that his parents didn't buy it for him! Some parents really make me angry, and this would be the type!

No comments:

Post a Comment