Saturday, October 6, 2012

Serve Now, Serve Together

This weekend was the second annual Serve Now, Serve Together! This year 3 more churches joined us in serving our community. I served at the Junior High/High School clothes closet this year. This is something I wasn't even aware the schools had. It's a "store" of donated clothes, toiletries, and undergarments which the kids from both schools can go look through if they are in need. It is free of cost to them and full of lots of goodies. Now, before I went I thought I'd look through my clothes and donate some. I donated a whole trashbag. I thought this was pretty good! When I got there and saw how empty the closets were and how in need they were, I was feeling kinda bad. I have a pretty small closet at home, but I store a LOT of my clothes in the basement on a hanging string that is strung all the way across my basement! So, I actually have like the worlds largest closet, haha. But I just rotate my clothes out every now and then and with season. I got home and looked at my basement closet and holy smokes I didn't donate near enough. I felt like I needed to go through these clothes for a second time and this time don't just donate the ones I haven't worn in years. This time I donated good clothes... not just ones I kept the first time because it was "too nice" or I "might wear it someday". So needless to say, God pulled at my heart a little bit and led me to donate a lot more clothes! I have 2 more trashbags full of clothes to bring over this week. I was really shown how good of a life I live and that I need to give more to the ones who are in need. I think the word I'm looking for is "simply." I have heard this quote before, and I was reminded of it again this weekend. "Live simply, so you can simply live." I don't want to worry about what others think, what I look like, etc. I just want to simply live and love others! I'm so glad I had the opportunity to serve this weekend. I had no idea we have so many "homeless" students in the area that are in need.

Here is a picture of the clothes I pulled from the basement, ridiculous considering I already have a closet full upstairs!


And here is what I narrowed it down to.
 
These are all my hangers I now have because all the clothes are in trash bags and ready to be donated!

3 comments:

  1. I too did this a few weeks ago. It's amazing how many clothes we amass, just because we get bored with our old ones. I finally stopped 'saving' clothes that I didn't wear, hoping that someone else could use them. thanks for serving!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow... I'm totally guilty of this. I have so many clothes I don't wear, but think "I might need this one day". I think it's time for me to go through my clothes... Dang it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. haha, it actually feels really good to "purge" the 'ol closet! :) Glad I got to serve!

    ReplyDelete