Tuesday, September 14, 2010

2nd Practicum

In the education field you are required 2 practicums before you actually student teach. A practicum is a 4 week period that the pre-service teacher is actually in the classroom teaching for. We go for just half a day and during this time we don't go to our other education classes that we have at that time. They call it a block because it blocks off part of your day to allow you to do the practicum when its time.
Well, last semester I was in a 6th grade classroom at Neoga. I never thought I'd like the older kids but I actually enjoyed teaching them quite well! I had a great class and an awesome teacher to help me along. Most of the time while I was there I taught science to 3 different 6th grade classes.  So, this semester I wanted to try out a younger grade to give myself some range in my experience.
I just found out that I was placed in Paris Crestwood Elementary for 1st grade this time. I'm not really as nervous this time around since I have already had one practicum. I'm only nervous about getting all of the work done! It requires sooooo much planning and creative thinking, and I'm also in 3 other classes while doing this. So, I'll be a busy bee this semester!
But, once this semester is over with I'll be ready to student teach and then graduate! My last day of student teaching should be April 22. I just found that out last week and I'm really excited about it because that means I'll have almost a whole month before the wedding off from school! This will be a much needed relaxation period!

No comments:

Post a Comment